Hello & Goodbye
Effective Monday January 25, 2016, Ms. O’Yazdi will be starting a new teaching opportunity within the YRDSB that will continue until the end of June 2016. In her absence, Ms. Shqiponia Sherifi will take over the responsibility of teaching Ms. O’Yazdi class until Ms. Nobes returns from her maternity leave on March 7 2016. Ms. Sherifi has taught students at various schools in York Region.
To ensure a smooth transition with program planning, Ms. Sherifi
has been working with Ms. O’Yazdi and will be spending time in her class so that she is able to meet her students. Ms. Sherifi will continue to be in touch with Ms. O’Yazdi once she starts her new position so the planning; assessment and reporting of the grade 3/4 program can be coordinated throughout the next five weeks.
Parents Needed to Find Equipment (UPDATED)
Primary students in our grade 1-3 (including all students in 3/4) classes are going skating starting in February. We are looking for a group of parents to find skates and helmets (yard sales, donations, etc.) so that all of our students have equipment to participate. If you are willing to help, please e-mail email@example.com ASAP with the subject “equipment volunteer”.
Looking for Skates and Helmets (UPDATED)
We are still looking for donations of skates and CSA approved helmets so that all primary students have the equipment they need to participate in their primary skating classes. If you have any that you no longer need, please bring them to Parkview in a plastic bag marked “attention Mrs. Bilkas”.
Unfortunately we have noted a sharp increase in students being delivered to school late. Students who are late, generally arrive at school less able to cope with the demands of their day. This has serious implications for their academic performance.
Please model effective time management skills by:
- Setting an alarm clock or ensuring that you are able to get up early in the morning ensuring plenty of time to complete routines and get to school.
- Preparing clothing, lunches and backpacks the night before
- Establishing and sticking to a routine in the morning that encourages student independence.
- Reinforcing positive behaviour and adherence to morning routines.
We want your child to start off the day in the most positive way possible. So please remember that they can be at school as early as 8:15 to play with their friends prior to school. Our bell rings at 8:25 and your child must be in class by 8:30 AM.
Yoga For Our Students
A big thank you to Katie Phang for taking time out of her busy yoga teaching schedule to come in last week and teach some of our Parkview students about the the benefits of yoga. Our students loved it and she gave great advice to them about how to focus and she provided strategies to quiet your “monkey brain” during school and when studying. Thank you Ms. Phang for helping us work on our students’ physical and mental wellness!
Grade 3 Walking Trip to Unionville Public Library
Mullett and Chong classes walking to Unionville Public Library in am and pm respectively to participate in library orientation, get a library card if don’t already have one, borrow materials and partake in unit specific planning by the instructional team at the library to support and extend our current learning in Social Studies: Early Settlers to Canada 1780 – 1850,
Grade 8 Updates
- Please hand in any outstanding Bottle Drive money as soon as possible to the home room teacher.
- Friendly reminder that the first installment of $100.00 for the Grade 8 Grad trip was due on Monday, January 18th.
- Next Grade 8 Grad meeting is on Tuesday, January 26th at 7:00pm in the School Library.
Term 2 Hot Lunch Program Updates
- Term 2 hot lunch registration opens this Friday January 22, and closes by Friday February 12, 2016.
- Includes 14 lunches from March 5 to June 6 on Fridays. If there is no school on a Friday, hot lunches will be held on Thursday (i.e. March 24, May 5, & June 2).
- We will NOT be suppling a juice box in the package starting from March, and we have reduced the cost for one slice of pizza from $3 to $2.25 per lunch, and for two slices of pizza from $5 to $4.50 per lunch.
- Students may buy a juice box for $1 (cash only) at the table when the volunteers sell pizza leftovers.
- We may be possibly adding “Sushi Wednesdays” and are in the process of sourcing a supplier. Please stay tuned for updates.
High School Registration
All grade 8 students attending their home high school, must complete and return their high school registration form by Wednesday, January 27th. Mrs. Vikse will go over the forms to check completeness and correctness. She will transport the forms to the appropriate high school. If your form is not submitted on time, you will have to deliver your registration form to the high school yourself.
School Spirit Day
Friday January 29th is our annual Pajama day. Staff and students are encouraged to be cozy and wear pajamas and earn points for your colour house.
The Week at a Glance
Monday January 25:
- Grade 3 walking trip to Unionville Public Library
Tuesday January 26:
- Grade 8 Grad Committee Meeting
Wednesday January 27:
- High School Registration Form Due
- 3:30PM Junior co-ed volleyball team @ Castlemore for exhibition game.
Thursday January 28:
- Parent Math Night @7:00 – 8:30p.m. in the library
Friday January 29:
- School Spirit Day: Pajama Day
- Parkview Pride Assembly (FDK-Gr.3 8:40, Gr.3/4 – 8 10:40)
- Hot Lunch|Pizza Day
- Junior Co-Ed Volleyball: Area championships for at Markville S.S.
Next Week: Monday February 1:
- P.A. Day no school for students