At Parkview, we value working with families to enhance student success. Here are just a few of the benefits of parental involvement in schools:
- Research has shown students will be more successful in school
- A common message about the value of school (attending, being on time, doing their best) increases the chances of this occurring
- Knowledge of what students are learning helps parents support their child
- Two-way communication allows for collaborative problem solving
Parents can be involved at Parkview by:
- Communicating with their child’s teachers
- Supporting classroom and school based activities
- Ensuring students arrive at school well rested and on time
- Signing agendas or following class based activities and work on internet based programs
- And many more
Meet and Greet (Curriculum Night)
Please find our schedule and program for next week’s Meet and Greet (Curriculum Night) is attached. The evening will start at 6PM with an optional prepaid Pizza Dinner (please order ahead of time through school cash net – Today is the last day to order) until 6:30PM outside at the back of the school, and will continue with two visitation times to your child’s classroom at 6:30 and 7PM. During that time, you will be engaged in activities with your child in their class so that you can learn about your child’s experience and routines at school.
To ensure that all parents who would like to introduce themselves to their child’s teacher, have an opportunity to do so that evening, we ask that if you have questions or concerns or a conversation that will take longer than a minute or two, please call and book an appointment with your child’s teacher at another time. As this is not a parent interview night, please understand that teachers will not be able to discuss your child’s progress with you this evening. Please note that we will be conducting parent teacher interviews where we will discuss student progress at the end of November.
Intermediate students will proceed to their homeroom classes with their parents, where they will meet the homeroom teacher and rotary teachers. In addition, ELL and Special Education staff will be in and out of the classrooms throughout the evening. Grade 8 information for high school will be provided in homeroom classes during this time.
Finally, we will be also hosting our very popular book fair in the library from 6-7:45PM. Buy a book and get your child hooked on reading! Reading supports student learning in all subject areas!
We are looking forward to seeing you all at our evening as there will be addition information regarding ESL and computer classes for adults as well as translators available in the front hall to assist newcomer families.
See you on October 6 from 6-7:30PM!
Parkview is hosting a Fall Scholastic Book Fair from Monday October 3rd to Thursday October 6th. The book fair will be open all week (including recesses every day) and opened until 4:00 pm after school. The Book Fair will also be open Thursday evening (October 6th) during the Meet the Teacher night.
Parkview will be starting its snack program again on Monday, October 3. The snacks will be available to each student as long as supplies last each week. The snacks are peanut- and nut-free. Typically, snacks consist of granola bars, yoghurt tubes, cheese sticks or muffins; occasionally, fruit will be available. If you would be interesting in volunteering your time to help with the snack program please contact the office. Thanks!
ZERO WASTE ASSEMBLY
All Parkview students participated in our Zero Waste Assembly. They were able to see the amount of garbage, recycling and compost they generated on Tuesday. Parkview will now of Green Bins to collect all compostable items. Parkview is helping to keep Earth clean for the future.
Area Cross Country Championships
- 1st place (pennant winners): Tyke boys, atom boys, junior boys, intermediate boys, and senior girls
- 2nd place: junior girls
- 3rd place: tyke girls
- Overall pennants for both junior team and the intermediate team
- Close to 40 Parkview runners have qualified for regional cross country meet on October 19, 2016
WELL DONE PARKVIEW!!!!!
Families wishing still to donate to the Terry Fox Run can go to the Terry Fox Website, find our school, and donate. Thank you
Parkview Spirit Ware….
is coming back! Flyers will be available at Meet and Greet evening on October 6th. Orders will be due by October 30th. More details to follow.
Parenting Workshop in Mandarin:
“How to build a good relationship with your teens”. The workshop will be offered at the Markham North Welcome Centre on Oct 5 from 6:00PM-8:00PM. The target audience are parents or caregivers with children age 10+. Our guest speaker is Judy Wu, Registered Psychotherapist and Individual, Couple and Family Therapist at the Living Water Counselling Centre.
See their October specials in the attached flier. Order soon!
This Week at a Glance
Monday October 3rd
- Book Fair
- Snack Program begins
- Subway Mondays begins
Tuesday October 4th
- Book Fair
- All primary students, Grade 1- 3, are invited to play soccer outside at lunch recess on Tuesday, Oct. 4th – Day 5 (weather permitting).
Wednesday October 5th
- Book Fair
- Primary Treats available at morning recess – funds support schoolinitiatives
Thursday October 6th
- Book Fair
- Scientist in the School: 11:00AM to 2:20PM – Ms Kruchak’s, Ms Prasad’s, and Ms McShane’s class
- Junior/Intermediate Treats available at morning recess – funds support schoolInitiatives
- Meet and Greet 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM
Friday October 7th
Monday October 10th Thanksgiving – No School