Please note the change of date of our first School Council meeting to Tuesday, September 18th @ 7:00pm.
On behalf of the entire Parkview staff we would like to extend a warm welcome to our Parkview Community. We hope that everyone had a safe and relaxing summer. We look forward to our continued partnership in making Parkview a safe, respectful and welcoming school.
The First Day Of School – Tuesday, September 4, 2018, at 8:15 a.m.:
- The teachers will be outside the school to greet the students.
- Kindergarten students will be in the KG fenced-in area – west side of the school.
- Students in gr. 1 & 2 – North end of the primary wing.
- Students in gr. 3, 4 & 5 – junior area by the junior door.
- Students in gr. 6 – outside of portable area.
- Students in gr. 7 & 8 – intermediate doors.
- We ask that parents/guardians stand back from the signs so that teachers can organize the children and ensure that all children are put safely into their classes.
Should it be raining, we are asking students to say goodbye to their parents/ guardians outside before entering the building. Students will then be directed to go to the following locations:
- Kindergarten students will go to kindergarten classrooms.
- Primary students (up to grade 3) will go to the library.
- Junior students will enter in from the junior door and will be directed as follows:
- Grade 4- to meet in room 112
- Grade 5- to meet in room 111
- Grade 6- to meet in room 106
- Intermediate Students:
- Grade 7- to meet in the 109
- Grade 8- to meet in room 108
In order to ensure the safety of all our students, we request the support of our families in the following areas:
- Please take time to review the information in the start-up packages with your child. All forms must be signed and returned to your child’s classroom teacher by September 7, 2018.
- If your child has any allergies/medical needs, please ensure that you fill out the Emergency Health Care package and return it as soon as possible.
- Students will enter the building and be dismissed from their exit doors (Primary, Junior and Intermediate). If there is a change in pick up routines, please inform the office immediately. Dismissal Forms must be completed or updated for students in grades K-4.
- Lunches may be dropped off at the lunch table which is located in the main foyer. We are respectfully asking parents /guardians/ caregivers to support us with ensuring the safety all our children by exiting the building once lunches have been dropped-off. This will allow our front door to remain closed and accessible, which will ensure the safety of all our students.
- Please do not open the front doors to visitors, doors can only be opened by office staff in order to ensure student safety at all times.
- Please do not park in the bus loop or in the school parking lot, this is to ensure the safety of all our students at the end the day.
- We strive to be a nut-free school. Please do not send nut products with your child.
- To support with our Safe Arrivals program, please phone the school, as early as possible, to report any absences for your child(ren).
Important Bus Information for our Parents from School Busy City: The following is a list of responsibilities for parents. The information will be listed on our website as a guide to ensure students safe travel to and from school.
- Parents should understand the need to make alternative arrangements for their child/children if the school bus is late.
- Parents and/or students should arrive at the bus stop 5 minutes prior to the regularly scheduled pick-up and drop-off times. During the first week of school it is recommended parents and/or students arrive at the bus stop 10 minutes prior to the regularly scheduled pick-up and drop-off times.
- Parents should know their child/children’s route number & bus stop location.
- Parents should know the school phone number and bus company phone number in the event of an emergency.
- Parents are reminded to refer to the Late Bus Report on the Student Transportation Services website at schoolbuscity.com prior to leaving for the bus stop in the mornings and afternoons.
Updated road safety information from The City of Markham – changes have been made to the traffic signs to address the congestion on the street at pick-up and drop off times and to increase the safety during this time. There will be enforcement officers present to support these new traffic rules. Please remember that children should not be crossing the street in front of the school.
- There will be NO stopping on Fonthill Blvd in front of the school (both sides of the street) during the hours of 7:45am-8:45am & 2:45pm-3:45pm. Students are not to exit cars from here anymore
- Parents can stop to drop of children on the area indicated on the map below on Fonthill(east side) during the times listed above but are not allowed to park and leave their cars
- There are more no U-turn signs. Please look out for them.
Important Safety information regarding drop-off and pick-up of our Panthers: Using the bus loop effectively can support us to alleviate traffic. Parents can support us to avoid congestion in the bus loop with the following actions:
- Drive as far as you can in the bus loop
- Saying goodbye before you get to the school and remaining in your car
- Have your child exit on the side of the school
- Do not overtake / pass cars in the bus loop
Class Placements – The Parkview staff worked very hard to accommodate requests, while keeping a balance within our classes between gender, social groupings. The ultimate goal in all our efforts at Parkview P.S. is to enhance student achievement and well-being. Students have been placed in the most positive learning environments possible given each individual pupil’s skills, knowledge, attitudes, and work and social habits. A great deal of time is spent ensuring that each student’s academic and social needs are met. In the event that you or your child are not initially pleased with the class placement, we respectfully ask that you resist the temptation to call or e-mail school staff to request a change. We believe we have created classrooms where our students can be successful in building new friendships, while building on past peer relationships. Our staff will not be considering any changes to our classrooms, however, we are committed to helping each student transition into his/her new grade. Class rosters for the 2018-19 school year will only be revised if we are forced to go through a September re-organization. This news would be communicated to all parents.
All communication from the school comes via:
- School Website http://www.yrdsb.ca/schools/parkview.ps/Pages/default.aspx
- School Twitter Account @parkviewPS
- School Blog https://parkviewpulse.org/
- Electronic Communication via email
We would like to remind all of our families that our goal is to work together to support the well-being of all our students. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns. We look forward to working in partnership with our Parkview Community.
Our first School Council meeting of the 2018-2019 school year is scheduled for Tuesday, September 18th @ 7:00pm. All are welcome, invited and encouraged to attend.
Please visit our School Website for all up-to-date school information.