Check out our September / October Newsletter.
Parkview PS is pleased to share that we will continue using EDSBY to support communication between the board / school and our families. As such, we encourage all of our families to ‘Accept the Registration’ request as sent out by the YRDSB. You should have received an email from the York Region District School Board with instructions on how to create an EDSBY account. If you do not see the email, please check your junk folder. It is very important that you remember your login and password for this site as it is difficult to retrieve this information in the future. The office cannot access accounts or password information. We will be using EDSBY as our forum to book Parent-Teacher Interviews.
- If you require a translator for parent-teacher interviews, which will be taking place on Thursday November 22nd and Friday November 23rd, please tell your child’s homeroom teacher so that we can make arrangements to support.
Halloween – Our school board is guided by the Human Rights and the Ontario Human Rights Code which recognizes the importance of equity, inclusion and human rights. Costumes, as always, are NOT mandatory and there should be no pressure to purchase a costume. Students may choose to: Make a costume which promotes creativity and imagination; Wear the Spirit Day colours (orange and black); Wear their Parkview colour house bracelet. No Replica Weapons –Costume accessories including, but not limited to, toy guns, knives, axes, swords, etc. are not in compliance with York Region District School Board’s Safe Schools Policy #668.0. Please DO NOT send these accessories to school with your child. Please do not send masks or food/treats to school, to support student safety.
A message for our Student Social and Arts Cabinet: Parkview is having a pumpkin decorating/carving contest this year. The pumpkins will be submitted for the contest by 12:20pm this Monday, October 29th. The pumpkins will be judged during lunch recess on Monday by the Parkview Student Social Cabinet and Arts Cabinets as well as a number of impartial (non-homeroom) staff at Parkview.
- There will be prizes distributed for the winners of each category (prizes will be a peanut/tree nut free candy treat).
- Each class pumpkin will be on display in the front foyer of the school. There will be photos taken of each class’ pumpkin and the photos will be emailed out to the Parkview community and posted on the school’s twitter account. Parkview families are invited to come into the school to bid on each pumpkin, through a silent auction. Bidding will take place starting at 1:20pm on Monday and will close at 12:30pm on Tuesday October 30th. Bidding must be in person at the school, we are unable to accept emailed bids.
- Pumpkin winners will be notified by phone and then winning bidders can come to pick up their pumpkin, pay the money for the winning bid amount to the office, and take home the decorated pumpkin to enjoy it for Halloween. Auctioned off pumpkins can be picked up between 1:20 – 3:30pm on Tuesday until 3:15pm on Wednesday October 31st.
The York Region District School Board recognizes the value that technology can bring to support student achievement and well-being while enhancing communication with families and the community at large. At Parkview Public School, we recognize that learning can be enhanced by technology and we have created opportunities to leverage digital tools that support teaching, learning and communication. Using technology and social media also gives educators and families an opportunity to teach students about the appropriate and responsible use of these tools. It has come to our attention that specific social media accounts have been created and continue to operate about our school community under our school name. These accounts are not owned or administered by Parkview Public School staff, nor is the messaging of these accounts reflective of our values here at Parkview Public School.
We will honour Remembrance Day on November 9th. Details will follow.
Free Yoga and Women’s Support Group (Tamil, Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi) – Tuesdays @ 6:30pm @ Ellen Fairclough PS
Tamil Parents / Guardians Network – Sundays @ 1:30p[m @ Milliken Mills HS
The Difference Makers at Parkview Public School are organizing a food drive called, “We Scare Hunger”. Students will be collecting non-perishable food items such as canned goods, pasta and rice. We will donate the non-perishable food items to the Markham Food Bank. The last day for donations will be on Wednesday, October 31st. Thank-you for your ongoing support!
- Thursday: Grade 6 VIP
Please join us for our first School Council Fundraiser. It will take place at Chapters, 3175 Highway 7 on November 15th, 2018 from 6-9pm. 20% of the total proceeds will go back to our Parkview students for learning materials! Come out & meet Parkview families!
In November 2018, the York Region District School Board will invite all students to participate in the Every Student Counts Survey (ESCS). The purpose of this census survey is to better understand YRDSB’s diverse student population as well as students’ experiences in school and outside of school. In November, a school letter will be sent home (to families of students in grades 1-6) with a link to the online survey along with instructions. Our students in Grades 7&8 will be invited to complete the survey online during class time.
Our Settlement and Education Partnership in York Region (SEPYR) partner, Ms. Julie Zhang, is with us at Parkview every Monday morning. You are invited to contact Julie to for support @ 416.567.4026 or email: email@example.com
All communication from the school comes via:
- School Website http://www.yrdsb.ca/schools/parkview.ps/Pages/default.aspx
- School Twitter Account @parkviewPS1
- School Blog https://parkviewpulse.org/
- Electronic Communication via email
We would like to remind all of our families that our goal is to work together to support the well-being of all our students. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns. We look forward to working in partnership with our Parkview Community.
Our next School Council meeting is scheduled for Monday, November 5th @ 7:00pm. All are welcome, invited and encouraged to attend.
Please visit our School Website for all up-to-date school information.