Remembrance Day: On Monday, November 11th, 2019 your child will receive a poppy to wear. Across Canada, millions of Canadians will wear a poppy as a symbol of national pride and respect, a visual pledge to never forget. Next week, Parkview will be collecting donations to raise funds in support of Veterans and their families. If you would like to donate, please send your donation in an envelope or ziploc bag marked ‘Poppy Donation’ with your child to school. All proceeds will go towards the Royal Canadian Legion who work towards supporting retired Veterans and their families. For more information please visit: http://www.legion.ca/honour-remember/the-poppycampaign/ We will be recognizing Remembrance Day as a school on November 11th, 2019 We are inviting veterans and Parkview families to join us for our assembly. FDK to grade 4 @ 9:00am (Kindergartens will not be performing) Grades 5-8 @ 10:50am Since this will be a solemn occasion we request that there is no applause during the assemblies. Video taping and pictures are also not permitted. Each assembly will be approximately 30 minutes in length, we ask that you remain for the duration of the time. Any students who are in the Service (Guides, Brownies, Cubs, Pathfinders, Scouts, Air/Sea/Army Cadets) may wear their uniform on Nov 11th in honour of our veterans who served and who currently are on deployment. Thank you in advance for your support!
Weather: As the weather changes and the snow approaches, to ensure the safety of students, school bus service may be cancelled due to inclement weather, extreme temperatures and/or poor road conditions. In these cases, parents and students should develop alternate care/transportation arrangements. A bus cancellation message will be available at www.schoolbuscity.com, by calling 1-877-330-3001, or by following @YRDSB on Twitter. Please note the following:
- A decision to cancel school bus service will be region-wide meaning all school buses, vans and taxis will not operate. Both the YRDSB and YCDSB operate many regional educational programs. Students attending these programs are transported over large attendance areas encompassing several municipal boundaries which prevents the ability to cancel bus service using a municipality or zone methodology.
- When bus service is cancelled all school tests and/or examinations will be cancelled and rescheduled.
- Student trips involving the use of school buses will also be cancelled.
- Unless otherwise stated, schools will remain open and parents can make arrangements to transport their children to and from school even if school bus service is cancelled. If buses are cancelled in the morning, they will not operate in the afternoon. Therefore students transported to school by parents will require the same transportation home.
On an inclement weather day when buses are cancelled, the delivery of school lunches (Pizza, Pasta and Subs) will be cancelled and rescheduled for another day. Students will need to bring a lunch on those days.
Reminder to all families that Friday, November 15th is a PA Day designated for Parent-Teacher Interviews. As such, there will be no school for children.
Grade 3 Gifted Screening will take place sometime in the month of November. If your child qualifies for Stage Two, you will receive a ‘Consent for Intellectual Screening’ form in January. If you do not receive a consent form that means your child is not moving on to Stage Two. We have sent home a letter outlining the timing and details of administration – please refer to this letter for additional information.
EDSBY is now open to our all of our families to book Parent-Teacher Interviews. Please login to your account to book a time to meet with your teachers. The Scheduler will be closed for booking on Wednesday, November 13th. Reminder: Interviews will be open to Y2/SK – Grade 8 families, while Y1/JK families will be invited in for an observation of learning.
Progress Reports will be sent home on Wednesday, November 13th.
Parent Teacher Interviews will take place after school and throughout the evening on Thursday, November 14. They will continue throughout the morning on Friday, November 15.
Please continue to talk to your child about the proper disposal of waste. Here is a link to The City of Markham’s recycling tool: https://www.markham.ca/wps/portal/home/neighbourhood-services/recycling-garbage/what-goes-where/what-goes-where
SAFETY REMINDERS –
- Lunches may be dropped off at the lunch table which is located in the main foyer. We are respectfully asking parents /guardians/ caregivers to support us with ensuring the safety all our children by exiting the building once lunches have been dropped off at the table. If you require further communication or need to speak with your child at lunch, please wait in the main office so that the main entrance or library doors are not blocked. This will allow our front door to remain closed and accessible, which will ensure the safety of all our students. Please do not open the front doors to any visitors, doors can only be opened by office staff in order to ensure student safety at all times.
- In order to ensure student safety, we are reminding parents/guardians that students cannot be dropped off to school earlier than 8:15am, at which point supervision begins. There is NO supervision before 8:15am. Please drive slowly in our drop off area in order to ensure the safety of all our students.
- Students must go home at dismissal time. Parents/guardians must inform the office & classroom teacher, if there are any changes in dismissal routines.
- Please do not park in the staff parking lot, particularly during entry and dismissal times. Thank you for your support!
Our next School Council meeting is scheduled for Monday, December 2nd @ 7:00pm. All are welcome, invited and encouraged to attend.
Please visit our School Website for all up-to-date school information.