Monday, February 20th, 2023
We hope that everyone had a restful weekend and had quality time with their families. In order to ensure student safety please do not drop your child off to school before 8:15 am. In addition, please do not park in the staff parking lot and use the designated city parking.
Pink Shirt Day: Wear a PINK shirt on Feb. 22, 2023 and help spread kindness!
Save the Date Reminders:
Parkview School Council would like to send a friendly reminder about upcoming activities for students and families! Please save the following dates:
- Movie Night for our Primary & Junior Divisions. On March 9th, Parkview will be showing the movie ENCANTO to our students in Grades K to 3.
- On April 27th, students in Grades 4 to 6 will watch the movie RAYA and the LAST DRAGON. Movies are free of charge.
- On May 4th, psychologist Dr. Merry Lin will be sharing valuable parenting tips in a presentation entitled LOVING OUR KIDS TOO MUCH – Healthy Parenting Strategies. The 1 hour presentation will begin @ 7pm. More details to follow via email
School Food Truck Fair on June 8th! More details to follow in the upcoming months!
If you are interested in volunteering or are able to support with henna please email our School Council Chairs at email@example.com for more information.
Centre for Black Excellence Mailing List: As part of YRDSB’s commitment to dismantling anti-Black racism, the board is launching the Centre for Black Student Excellence Mailing List.
Family members who subscribe to the mailing list will receive information about:
- Updates and programs from the Centre for Black Student Excellence
- Information about Board programs that would benefit Black students, families with Black children
- Community flyers and programs that would benefit Black students and families with Black children
Families can sign up for the mailing list using this subscription form, available at www.yrdsb.ca/blackexcellence, and can unsubscribe at any time.
Mental Health Series Supporting Students of Chinese Heritage:
The series will provide a number of parent/caregiver virtual events to build community, support mental health, and promote healing.
The third session in the series is offered for any parent/guardian of students of Chinese Heritage. Parents, caregivers are invited to join this workshop and engage meaningful conversations that help students strive at school. Tips on ways that help strengthen family relationships and emotional wellbeing will be shared. This will be a free virtual event.
Community Building and Engagement Event
February 27th, 2023 at 7:00pm-8:30pm Cantonese Session
Registration for Cantonese Session
March 6th, 2023 at 7:00pm-8:30pm Mandarin Session
Registration for Mandarin Session
Parenting Program for Farsi/Dari Speaking Families: These sessions held in Farsi for Farsi/Dari Families will help you build healthy relationships with your children. Held virtually in Farsi. Please see flyers in Farsi and English to register.
GIVE – Get Involved. Volunteer in Education: Research shows parent and community engagement increases student achievement, wellbeing and success! Register for these free sessions in February to learn more about parent and community engagement.
Türkiye and Syria Earthquake List of Urgently Needed Items: Donations are being accepted by Humanity First for urgently needed items for the earthquake in Türkiye and Syria. Please view this link for additional details.
YRDSB Podcast and Newsletters: Did you know that YRDSB has a podcast? From in-depth discussions on issues affecting education to practical conversations for families, Tune In YRDSB helps you stay connected to what’s happening in education.
Check out some of our latest episodes, available on most podcast platforms. Don’t miss our monthly wrap-up episodes sharing the latest news and upcoming events each month.
- Shine episodes featuring Black voices and celebrating Black excellence in its many forms.
- Introduction to Special Education. Learn more about how students are identified, what to expect, how we work with families to support students and more. We also invited students to tell us how their IEP helps them.
- Adult Learning. Two students sit down with adult learning educators to share their stories and talk about the benefits of adult learning. Find out how it works, what to expect, and why students feel “at home” here.
- Tamil Heritage Month. Staff, students and family members speak about Tamil Heritage Month, Tamil identity and how we can create learning and working spaces that affirm Tamil identity.
- Yad Vashem. Join YRDSB educators as they sit down with staff from Yad Vashem to discuss the importance of Holocaust education in Canada.
News, Tips and Resources for Families
Looking for the latest news, tips and resources for families? Some of our departments put out monthly newsletters that provide helpful updates and resources for families.
Visit our newsletters page to see them all, or check out the latest from:
- Centre for Black Student Excellence
- Math and Math Problems of the Month
- Mental Health
- Parent, Family and Community Engagement
- “The Special Edition” Exceptional Learning Strengths and Needs Newsletter
Newcomer Youth Program: YRDSB is offering programming for youth who are newcomers to Canada. Sessions begin in March of 2023. Review the following link for details.
Three Part Series on Poverty: Parents and guardians are invited to one last workshop on Feb. 27 from the 3 part series on poverty in York Region. The following link provides more info.
All February: Black History Month
February 22nd: Pink Shirt Day
February 22nd – 24th: Grade 7 trip to LSG
March 6th: Purim
March 8th: Grade 8 GRAD PHOTO & Holi
March 9th: Primary & Junior Movie Night – ENCANTO
Upcoming Faith Days: For faith observances this month, please see the YRDSB Multifaith Calendar
All communication from the school comes via:
- School Website http://www.yrdsb.ca/schools/parkview.ps/Pages/default.aspx
- School Twitter Account @parkviewPS1
- School Blog https://parkviewpulse.org/
- Electronic Communication via email