Sunday, February 26th, 2023
We hope that our Parkview families enjoyed the weekend! Last week we celebrated PINK shirt day at Parkview and encouraged our Panthers to spread kindness! Our grade 7 students attended their overnight trip at Lake St George. This was a great learning experience for our students! Thank you to our Parkview staff for organizing this opportunity for our children. We would also thank our School Council for all their hard work as they continue to plan events and the end of year Food Truck Fair (please see below for more information). On March 1st we will be having our Spirit Day! Students are encouraged to wear their PJ’s or Parkview colours to school.
Save the Date Reminders: Parkview School Council would like to send a friendly reminder about upcoming activities for students and families! Please save the following dates –
- Movie Night for our Primary & Junior Divisions. On March 9th, Parkview will be showing the movie ENCANTO to our students in Grades K to 3.
- On April 27th, students in Grades 4 to 6 will watch the movie RAYA and the LAST DRAGON. Movies are free of charge.
- On May 4th, psychologist Dr. Merry Lin will be sharing valuable parenting tips in a presentation entitled LOVING OUR KIDS TOO MUCH – Healthy Parenting Strategies. The 1 hour presentation will begin @ 7pm. More details to follow via email
- School Food Truck Fair on June 8th! More details to follow in the upcoming months!
If you are interested in volunteering or are able to support with henna please email our School Council Chairs at email@example.com for more information.
Reminders: As we continue to experience cold temperatures, we remind families to ensure students are coming to school dressed appropriately for the weather. Indoor shoes, a change of clothes and extra socks are also recommended. With this in mind, we also ask that students are not dropped off to school before 8:15 am. Supervision begins at 8:15am. In order to ensure student safety, please park in designated city streets. Do not park in the school parking lot.
Centre for Black Student Excellence Newsletter | March 2023: The Centre for Black Excellence looks forward to continuing to develop opportunities for supporting Black students, families and staff within the York Region District School Board, in partnership with community partners. See newsletter for further information.
Fostering Your Child’s Emotional Resilience Mandarin Session: The third session in the series is offered for any parent/guardian of students of Chinese Heritage. Tips on ways that help strengthen family relationships and emotional wellbeing will be shared. Please see this flyer to register.
Managing Negative Self-Talk: This is a free Presentation for parents and community members. Topic for this virtual session on March 8, 10:00am-11:30am will be Managing Negative Self-Talk. Details for this event are here.
March Triple P Parenting Sessions: These are the Triple P Parenting Sessions being offered for the month of March. Parents, guardians, caregivers and community members are invited to attend these virtual sessions. More details can be found here.
Parenting Program for Farsi and Dari Speaking Families: These sessions will be held in Farsi for Farsi/Dari Families to help build healthy relationships with your children. Held virtually in Farsi. Please see the English flyer or Farsi flyer to register.
York Regional Police Chief For A Day: York Regional Police are inviting Grade 5 students in York Region to submit a 300 to 400 word essay on how they would make a difference in their community for a chance to be named Police Chief for a day. See this flyer for more information.
Student Mental Health and Addictions Newsletter March 2023: March’s Mental Health Newsletter for families and caregivers has a focus on “Taking a Break to Pause”. Translations are available on www2.yrdsb.ca/taxonomy/term/377
Federal Housing Benefit for Renters Who Qualify: The Federal government has introduced a one-time, $500 tax-free benefit for low income renters who:
- Have an Adjusted Family Net Income (AFNI) for 2021 of $35,000 or less for families, or $20,000 or less for individuals.
- Spent at least 30% of their adjusted family net income on renting their principal residence in Canada in 2022
To be eligible you do not need to already be receiving other housing benefits.
● Applications are open until Friday March 31, 2023.
● For eligibility and additional details please visit:
One Time Canada Housing Benefit for Renters
All February: Black History Month
March 6th: Purim / School Council Meeting (virtual)
March 8th: Grade 8 GRAD PHOTO & Holi
March 9th: Primary & Junior Movie Night – ENCANTO
Upcoming Faith Days: For faith observances this month, please see the YRDSB Multifaith Calendar
All communication from the school comes via:
- School Website http://www.yrdsb.ca/schools/parkview.ps/Pages/default.aspx
- School Twitter Account @parkviewPS1
- School Blog https://parkviewpulse.org/
- Electronic Communication via email